A lot of Playstation news has dropped this week, but mixed in amongst it is a little gem for the Playstation 4. Atlus and developer Vanillaware have finally announced details for the western release date of their highly anticipated new game, 13 Sentinels: Aegis Rim.
Why should you be interested?
Vanillaware are arguably one of the most artistic developers in the whole of the industry. My personal love of Japanese games grew from playing a highly underrated gem of a game on the PS Vita, Muramasa Rebirth. Despite the small handheld screen, it was amazing to see such wonderful and achingly beautiful backdrops, alongside fantastic storytelling and gameplay. My love affair with JRPG’s began here.
They then produced a remastered version of the PS2 classic, Odin Sphere, which alongside yet more stunning visuals, intertwined multiple stories for yet another fantastic experience. Another remaster followed with Dragon’s Crown Pro, one of their more popular and well-known titles, which again delighted fans with such brilliant crafting of 2D side-scrolling RPG gameplay, amazing visuals and deep story.
So now, finally, the masters of visual art, storytelling, and superb gameplay are about to launch their only designed from the ground up PS4 game. It is late into the console generation lifespan, but having already been released to the Japanese market in late 2019, the game has quickly racked up multiple awards already, which is only whetting the appetite for us here at Total Gaming Addicts. We simply couldn’t be more excited to get our hands on this hugely anticipated game.
From the Developer
“About 13 Sentinels: Aegis Rim
Vanillaware,the storytellers behind Odin Sphere and Dragon’s Crown, craft a sci-fi mystery epic spanning thirteen intertwining stories.
Uncover the truth and delve into a 2D sidescrolling adventure featuring gorgeous art and environments. Then, battle the kaiju in fast-paced, top-down combat. Customize the Sentinels with an arsenal of mechsuit weaponry, and fight to defend humanity!
- Beautifully rendered in Vanillaware’s signature hand-painted visual style
- Uncover a deep story through visions of the past and the future
- The doomsday clock is ticking. Become a Sentinel pilot, customize your mech, and fight waves of kaiju in top-down tactical combat
Along with the recognition of Japanese game industry leaders, 13 Sentinels: Aegis Rim has won numerous awards. Below is a list of its official accolades:
- Japan Game Awards 2019, Future Division Winner
- Famitsu Dengeki Game Award 2019, Best Scenario Award & Best Adventure Award (2 divisions)
- Japan Otaku Awards 2019, Grand Prize
- IGN Japan Game of the Year 2019, 6th Place
- IGN Japan User’s Choice 2019, 2nd Place
- Weekly Famitsu (PS4 Special Feature, sold March 12th, 2020), Ranked in 10th for “”PS4 Must-Play Titles,” selected from all PS4 titles ever sold
- 51st Seiun Award, Media Category, Nominee”