It was a full two years ago that a small indie developer, Sobaka Studios, released a trailer for 9 Monkeys of Shaolin.
Since then, the game was delayed and went into the ‘games that may never be released’ abyss. Then, out of the blue, a gameplay demo was released. Finally, and with very little fanfare, gamers can now get their hands on the gameplay demo and see why this excellent cartoon style beat ’em up, should be on their radar of upcoming games to play.
I sat down to play and record a gameplay video playthrough of the demo, and was hugely impressed with the stylistic art, smooth graphics, and excellent combat.
It’s quite clear that during combat, button mashing is not how to play the game. You will need to be a little more circumspect with your movement in how and when to attack, much in the same way martial artists use their energy efficiently. Float like a butterfly, sting like a bee!
“9 Monkeys of Shaolin marks a true rebirth of the iconic beat ’em up genre in vein of old-school video games. If, as a kid you had hours of fun playing beat ’em up videogames crushing foes left and right then this new title from the creators of hardcore brawler REDEEMER is definitely for you!
As a mere Chinese fisherman Wei Cheng you have to avenge the death of your friends and family slaughtered in a pirate raid at your peaceful village. Game protagonist is quite a tough nut to crack as he knows the basics of ancient martial arts only mastered by legendary Shaolin monks. Get your trusty battle staff ready for a challenging adventure in Medieval China and for merciless fights with hordes of various enemies.
Action-packed battles, user friendly controls and incredible atmosphere of great kung-fu movies of 70s – all this makes 9 Monkeys of Shaolin a perfect choice for every true fan of really hardcore brawlers.“
- 3 unique fighting styles: fight on earth, in the air or use mysterious magic seals. Combine these elements to defeat every enemy on your way.
- Captivating narrative: discover the fascinating story of Wei Cheng and follow him as he rises from a simple fisherman to the master of Shaolin martial arts.
- Stunning visual style: unlikely combination of historical and mystical elements gives you an exciting experience from every scene appears on screen.
- Extensive character development system: you learn a great deal of ways to victory as you discover various unlockable perks, items and fighting styles.
- More than 25 different levels: Chinese villages, pirate ship, Buddhist monasteries, Japanese mansions, ancient ruins and many more.
- 10 types of Chinese and Japanese polearms, each with its unique traits. Discover the landscapes to find new items!
- Co-op play: invite your friend to help you fight through growing waves of enemies and complete the game together.
9 Monkeys of Shaolin is due for release on the 16th October 2020, on PlayStation 4, Nintendo Switch, Xbox One, Microsoft Windows, Linux, and Mac OS.
Join us here at Total Gaming Addicts as we bring you the full game review on the release date.