- Developer: Team 17
- Publisher: Team 17
- Genre: Artillery game, Strategy game
- Release Date: 23rd August 2016
- Platforms: PlayStation 4, Xbox One, Microsoft Windows, Linux, Mac OS
- Game Supplied by: Team 17
Kamikaze! Come on then! Watch this! Classic Worms sayings that made so many of us fall in love with these heroic and stupid worms.
Some games move on and adapt, some games stick to what they are good at and make it better, Worms WMD is the latter.
Visually it’s nothing new, exactly as it was originally, just sharpened up and a little more detail, colours are as you might expect from an amusing fun loving humorous multi weapon worm shooter.
It’s the 21st anniversary of Worms, and Team17 is celebrating it by launching the best version of the game yet! Worms WMD has a new look and new features; delivered by an engine that recreates classic Worms physics and gameplay.
Be sneaky and hide out in buildings, use mounted guns, and get around in a range of different vehicles. Take the fight online and compete in multiplayer matches, all with the essential feel of the classic Worms experience.
Keep your eyes out for more exciting W.M.D content to be announced!
We want to start by thanking everyone for their support and enthusiasm for Worms W.M.D, it’s been nothing short of amazing. And now we’re super happy to announce that you’ll be able to get your hands on Worms W.M.D when it launches August 23rd.
But that’s not all…
We’re celebrating the launch of Worms W.M.D by gathering up our friends from across gaming for the Worms W.M.D All-Stars Pre-Order.
- Wonderfully 2D: The best implementation of the Worms formula, now with a brand new worm and lovingly hand crafted 2D artwork.
- Classic Gameplay, Back by Popular Demand: We hear you! Worms W.M.D sees the reintroduction of the much loved ‘classic’ Ninja Rope, and we’ve recreated some of the key physics and gameplay that made the previous games so popular!
- Buildings: Keep your head down, and hide out in a building. Buildings give a tactical advantage by hiding away your worms, and keeping them safe from direct attacks!
- Tanks: Drive around the landscape in warfare-ready Tanks. These conflict-hungry vehicles can help you get around faster, protect your worms, and provide extra fire power!
- Helicopters: Take to the skies and perfect your aerial assault skills as you unleash rapid-fire chaos on your enemies below! Pilot safety not guaranteed.
- Mounted Guns: As if over 80 weapons and utilities wasn’t already enough! A range of different gun types are placed around the landscape, allowing your warmongering worms to do even MORE damage!
- Online Multiplayer and Great Single Player: Create havoc online in ranked or friendly multiplayer modes, with room for up to 6 players and 8 worms each on a map! There’s also plenty for the solo player to do – Worms W.M.D comes locked and loaded with a huge arsenal of Training Missions, Campaign Missions, and Challenges.
So if all those features and add ons don’t have you excited then, well you’re boring, Worms was always fun and bringing back the classic gameplay with bonus features and weapons makes it even more fun. I really enjoyed the helicopter and tank but was then disappointed when I had to go back to my bazooka and grenades.
On the whole the mass of single player levels kept me interested with the obvious crazy and sometimes downright frustrating maps but to be honest bright colours and new weapons only gave me a few hours of play before I had enough.
Gaming is about online multiplayer! Isn’t it? Playing with friends and destroying unsuspecting foe online, this is where Worms gets its longevity, there is nothing more satisfying than blasting your friends apart then dropping an air strike on them to finish them off, or hit them with the bazooka and watch them fly up and across the map into oblivion.
Nice game to bring back to life and great new weapons, however for me it just didn’t have enough to make an old classic a new classic.