The Nacon MG-X Pro is available now across Europe, priced at £89.99
We recently reviewed the Nacon MG-X, praising its excellent battery life, high build quality, design and portability. It is, beyond a doubt, one of the best ways to play your games on the go. If you’re not so worried about it being compact, though, you may be interested in the MG-X Pro.
The MG-X Pro operates in a very similar way to the MG-X, clamping your phone into a spring-loaded mount and connecting via Bluetooth 4.2, but instead of a miniaturised pair of controls on either side of the display, the MG-X Pro more resembles a standard controller split across the centre. This obviously makes it a lot larger, but it comes with some huge advantages, namely the full-size triggers, buttons and analogue sticks.
I found there was a bit of a learning curve in getting used to the hand positioning on the MG-X, and the shorter trigger throw and smaller analogue sticks didn’t offer the same precise control you need for some games. The full-sized MG-X Pro should alleviate all of this, bringing console-level controls to your mobile, without having to use one of those clamps that protrude from the top of your controller.
Based on the images, we can see that the MG-X Pro utilises the same face buttons as found on the Revolution X Pro Controller. These slightly oversized buttons are less rounded than the traditional controller ones, but they worked flawlessly in our testing. Similarly with the analogue sticks and triggers, if Nacon has used the same controls on this controller, it’s shaping up to be an excellent addition if you want to take your mobile gaming to the next level; Imagine going head to head with someone using touch controls. It’s no contest.
The MG-X Pro uses the same simple connection method as the MG-X, pairing swiftly and reliably, and should share an equally impressive battery life. At this stage I’m not sure whether the MG-X Pro has any controller haptics/rumble – it could be that it risks dislodging your phone, so I’d understand it not being included.
My first impressions of this controller are very good, but we’ll have to get it into our hands to find out whether it performs as well as it looks. We’ve reached out to Nacon for a review unit, and will hopefully be able to give you the lowdown when it arrives.
NACON MG-X Pro features:
• The Xbox experience wherever you are: Designed for Xbox mobile holder, ideal for enjoying Game Pass Ultimate or playing any other compatible mobile game.
• Ergonomic handles: Fitting all hand sizes and ensuring optimal comfort thanks to its textured coating.
• Fully secured: Adjustable opening securely holds the smartphone for maximum stability.
• Wireless connection: Easy pairing of the smartphone to the MG-X Pro with Bluetooth 4.2.
• 20 hours life-time*: Built-in rechargeable battery with USB-C input, (charging cable included), offering long hours of gaming when travelling. Check on the battery status with the LED indicator.
• Universal compatibility: Works with all Android smartphones equipped with Android 6 and later systems, up to 6.7 inches (152.4 mm) screens.
*Battery-life may vary depending on the games. Xbox Game Pass Ultimate is not included.